May 1, 2021 @ Downtown 312 (312 E. Choctaw Ave. McAlester, OK)
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!
- Each team must arrive and check in between 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm. (The Armed Forces Day Parade starts at 10:00 am and we will start setting up immediately after it concludes.)
- At 1:30 teams will meet inside Downtown 312 for the cookers meeting to discuss rules and procedures and receive the official turn-in box. Immediately thereafter teams will participate in the steak draft where each team will select five choice-plus ribeye steaks and be provided ice and foil pans.
- Steaks will be turned in for judging between 4:00 pm and 5:00pm.
- Results will be announced at 6:00 pm.
Bring chairs, canopy for shade and all cooking essentials.
Cooking will be done in the street between 3rd and 5th streets on Choctaw Avenue.
- 1st Place – $1500
- 2nd Place – $400
- 3rd Place – $200
- The event will be judged by a panel of judges and will be in a “blind judging” format.
- The head cook of a team must be 18 years old.
- The Cookoff promoter/organizer will provide all the rib-eye steaks for the event. Each team will receive five steaks and must turn in one to be judged and three to be offered as free samples to the public.
- Turn in times will be announced at cooks meeting and cannot be changed once announced.
- Teams are subject to random ice chest inspections by any contest organizer.
- Should there be a tie after all tie breakers, the two teams would split the combined financial payout from the two payouts. Example: If 1st place is $1500 and 2nd place is $400 then the two teams would split $1900. The team behind them would become 3rd place etc.
Steak Cooking Rules:
- Cooks may cook on any fire or heat source.
- Each team needs to cook on a separate fire source with the following exception: Trailers that have multiple grills or large grills that are totally divided are allowed as long as each cooker has their own fire source.
- NO other rib-eye steak is to be present at the cook site other than the ones given to the teams.
- Steaks may not be removed from the teams numbered cooking area except to turn in the entry.
- Steaks should be cooked Medium (warm pink center).
- Steaks may be lightly trimmed before, but not after cooking.
- Steaks may not be marked or branded in any way. (Grill marks are not considered marking)
- Steaks must be turned in whole and uncut on top of the provided foil disk with no garnish in the box.
- Foil disks must be placed in the box, silver side up and not folded in any way
Reasons for Disqualification:
- Ribeye steaks other than the ones provided for the event found in team area
- A steak turned in after the time window has expired
- Any foreign object found in the turn in box (this includes garnishes and separate sauces)
- Issued steaks are removed from the teams cooking area
- Steaks will be judged with regard to Taste, Doneness, Appearance and overall impression
- The order of tie breakers for steak is: Taste, Doneness, Appearance and overall impression
- Total combined score from each category wins