RIBEYES AND RABBITS FESTIVAL
(Sponsored by 3F’s Farms)
PEOPLE’S CHOICE CONTEST
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!
The rules cover the following three competitions that will occur on May 4, 2024:
- Steak Festival Ribeye Competition
- 3F’s Farms Best Bite Rabbit Competition
- People’s Choice Competition
Date: Saturday May 4, 2024
Check in time and procedure:
Each team must arrive and check in immediately following the completion of the Annual Armed Forces Day Parade at approximately 11:00 am. Please enter at 5th Street and Choctaw and drive west to check in but not until the parade is complete.
Each team will receive two untrimmed choice or prime ribeyes cut to 1 ¼ inch thickness as well as approximately two butchered ‘New Zealand’ breed farm-raised white rabbits divided into front legs, hind quarters and loins, and provided by 3F’s Farms in Checotah, Oklahoma. Teams will also receive foil pans and gloves. At check in each team will be instructed to return for a cook’s meeting that must be attended by one representative from each team to receive the competition steak box and procedures for turning in entries. Bring additional ice, chairs, canopy for shade and all cooking essentials. Cooking will be done in the street in front of buildings.
$125.00 includes entry into all three competitions.
Schedule of Events
10:00 am – 11:00 am: Armed Forces Day Parade on Choctaw Ave.
11:00 am (or immediately after parade): Check in and set up
12:00 pm: Cook’s Meeting/Pick up steaks/Rabbits
3:00 pm-4:00 pm: Turn in Best Bite Rabbit Entries
5:00 – 6:00 pm: People’s Choice Open Judging
7:00 –8:00 pm: Steak Turn in
8:30 pm: Awards
8:45 pm: Live Music inside Spaceship Earth Coffee
Steak Draft Rules:
The time for the steak draft will be announced at check-in but most likely will be at 12:00 pm. Each team’s representative will draw a number to establish a draft order. The steaks will be displayed for choosing. Beginning with number “1” the steaks will be chosen one at a time. The last number will choose two steaks and the draft will continue in descending/ascending order until each team has two steaks.
Each team should bring an ice chest and foil trays to steak draft to keep steaks at proper temperature.
- The event will be judged by a panel of judges and will be in a “blind judging” format.
- The head cook of a team must be 18 years old.
- The event promoter/organizer will provide all the rib-eye steaks for the event. Each team will receive five steaks and must turn in one to be judged.
- Turn in time will be between 7:00 pm and 8:00 pm. No steaks will be accepted after 8:00 pm.
- Do not remove the envelopes from your steak box. After you turn in your steak you will be given one of the envelopes. This contains your steak number. Do not open the envelope until you are instructed to do so at the results ceremony.
- Teams are subject to random ice chest inspections by any contest organizer.
- Should there be a tie after all tie breakers, the tying teams would split the combined financial payout.
Steak Cooking Rules:
- Teams may cook on any fire or heat source.
- Each team needs to cook on a separate fire source with the following exception: Trailers that have multiple grills or large grills that are totally divided are allowed as long as each cooker has their own fire source.
- NO other rib-eye steak is to be present at the cook site other than the ones given to the teams.
- Steaks may not be removed from the teams numbered cooking area except to turn in the entry.
- Steaks should be cooked Medium (warm pink center).
- Steaks may be trimmed before, but not after, cooking.
- Steaks may not be marked or branded in any way. (Grill marks are not considered marking)
- Steaks must be turned in whole and uncut on top of the provided foil disk with no garnish in the box.
- Foil disks must be placed in the provided box, silver side up and not folded in any way
— Reasons for Disqualification:
- Ribeye steaks other than the ones provided for the event found in team area
- A steak turned in after the time window has expired
- Any foreign object found in the turn in box (this includes garnishes and separate sauces)
- Issued steaks are removed from the team’s cooking area
- Steaks will be judged with regard to Taste, Temperature, Appearance and Overall Impression
- The order of tie breakers for steak is: Taste, Doneness, Appearance
- Total score from each category wins
Winning Prize (Ribeye):
$2,500.00 + Winner’s Trophy
3F’s FEATHERS-N-FUR FARM
BEST BITE RABBIT RULES AND FORMAT:
- The Best Bite Contest is optional and no additional entry fee is required.
- Each team will receive 2 full separated and butchered New Zealand white rabbits divided into front legs, hind quarters and loins.
- Each entry must cook the rabbits in any method they choose using any ingredients at their disposal.
- Each teams will turn in 5 portions of their entry using any or all of the rabbits sections at their disposal. Teams can cook the rabbit in any method they choose as long as the meat is cooked through and through to a temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The rabbit entries will not be blind: each team must be prepared to present the entry to the judges, explain and describe the ingredients and cooking process and answer questions.
- Any method of plating is allowed and is up to the team as part of the presentation/appearance score. Teams may use sauces, garnishes and other components as necessary to complete their plating and appearance.
- Contestants will not be provided turn-in boxes for rabbits.
- Entries will be judged with regard to Taste, Appearance, Originality and Overall Impression.
Winning Prize (Best Bite):
PEOPLE’S CHOICE COMPETITION
RULES AND FORMAT
- The People’s Choice contest is optional and no additional entry fee is required.
- Each team will be given a People’s Choice placard with their team name and QR code that must be displayed at the cooking station to participate in the People’s Choice contest
- At the designated time teams will prepare their food and make it available at their cooking station for the public judges.
- Members of the public will sample food items from any teams they choose and will cast their vote with the QR code given to that team.
- Teams can prepare as many different food items as they want and any category of food is acceptable as long as it was made by the participating team at their cook station, is prepared safely by following all applicable food health and sanitation standards.
Winning Prize (People’s Choice):