May 6, 2023
The annual Steak Festival will feature a ribeye competition, a “Best Bite” chicken wing competition, the popular “People’s Choice” award, live music, beer gardens and lots of food!
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!
2023 GRILLMARKS STEAK FESTIVAL COMPETITION
Best Bite Wing Ding
(Sponsored by 3F’s Farms)
PEOPLE’S CHOICE CONTEST
The rules cover the following four competitions that will occur on May 6, 2023:
- Steak Festival Ribeye Competition
- 3F’s Wing Ding
- People’s Choice
Date: Saturday May 6, 2023
Check in time and procedure: Each team must arrive and check in immediately following the completion of the Annual Armed Forces Day Parade at approximately 11:30 am. Please enter at 5th Street and Choctaw and drive west to check in but not until the parade is complete.
Each team will receive five untrimmed choice or prime ribeyes cut to 1 ¼ inch thickness as well as approximately 24 separated chicken wings from 3F’s Farms in Checotah, Oklahoma. Teams will also receive foil pans and gloves. At check in each team will be instructed to return for a cook’s meeting that must be attended by one representative from each team to receive the competition steak box and procedures for turning in entries. Bring additional ice, chairs, canopy for shade and all cooking essentials. Cooking will be done in the street in front of buildings.
Entry Fee: $125.00 includes entry into all three competitions.
Schedule of Events
|10:00 am – 11:30 am||Armed Forces Day Parade on Choctaw Ave.|
|11:30 am (or immediately after parade)||Check in and set up|
|12:30 pm||Cook’s Meeting/Pick up steaks/wings|
|2:00 pm-3:00 pm||Turn in Wings|
|3:00 – 5:00 pm||People’s Choice Open Judging|
|4:00 pm||Live music/entertainment on Choctaw|
|5:00 –6:00 pm||Steak Turn in|
|8:00 pm||Paul Benjaman Trio plays inside Spaceship Earth Coffee|
Steak Draft Rules:
The time for the steak draft will be announced at check-in but most likely will be at 12:30 pm. Each team’s representative will draw a number to establish a draft order. The steaks will be displayed for choosing. Beginning with number “1” the steaks will be chosen one at a time. The last number will choose two steaks and the draft will continue in descending/ascending order until each team has five steaks.
Each team should bring an ice chest and foil trays to steak draft to keep steaks at proper temperature.
- The event will be judged by a panel of judges and will be in a “blind judging” format.
- The head cook of a team must be 18 years old.
- The Cookoff promoter/organizer will provide all the rib-eye steaks for the event. Each team will receive five steaks and must turn in one to be judged.
- Turn in time will be between 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm. No steaks will be accepted after 6:00 pm.
- Do not remove the envelopes from your steak box. After you turn in your steak you will be given one of the envelopes. This contains your steak number. Do not open the envelope until you are instructed to do so at the results ceremony.
- Teams are subject to random ice chest inspections by any contest organizer.
- Should there be a tie after all tie breakers, the tying teams would split the combined financial payout.
Steak Cooking Rules:
- Teams may cook on any fire or heat source.
- Each team needs to cook on a separate fire source with the following exception: Trailers that have multiple grills or large grills that are totally divided are allowed as long as each cooker has their own fire source.
- NO other rib-eye steak is to be present at the cook site other than the ones given to the teams.
- Steaks may not be removed from the teams numbered cooking area except to turn in the entry.
- Steaks should be cooked Medium (warm pink center).
- Steaks may be trimmed before, but not after cooking.
- Steaks may not be marked or branded in any way. (Grill marks are not considered marking)
- Steaks must be turned in whole and uncut on top of the provided foil disk with no garnish in the box.
- Foil disks must be placed in the provided box, silver side up and not folded in any way
Reasons for Disqualification:
- Ribeye steaks other than the ones provided for the event found in team area
- A steak turned in after the time window has expired
- Any foreign object found in the turn in box (this includes garnishes and separate sauces)
- Issued steaks are removed from the team’s cooking area
- Steaks will be judged with regard to
- Overall Impression
- The order of tie breakers for steak is: Taste, Doneness, Appearance
- Total score from each category wins
Winning Prize: $2,000.00
3F’s FEATHERS-N-FUR FARM
BEST BITE WING DING RULES AND FORMAT:
- The Best Bite Contest is optional and no additional entry fee is required.
- Each team will receive 24 separated chicken wings divided into flats and drummies.
- Each entry must cook the wings in any method they choose using any ingredients at their disposal. Teams can use sauces as a baste, marinade, dipping sauce for the judges or all three. Sauces must be created by the entry team but need not be made on site.
- Each teams will turn in 5 wing pieces of their choice. If dipping sauce is used it should be divided into 5 portions, one for each judge.
- The wing entries will not be blind and each team must be prepared to present the entry to the judges, explain and describe the ingredients and cooking process and answer questions.
- Any method of plating is allowed and is up to the team as part of the presentation/appearance score
- Contestants will not be provided turn in boxes for wings.
- Wing entries will be judged with regard to
- Overall Impression.
Winning Prize: $1,500.00
PEOPLE’S CHOICE COMPETITION
RULES AND FORMAT
- The People’s Choice contest is optional and no additional entry fee is required.
- Each team will be given a People’s Choice placard with their team name that must be displayed at the cooking station to participate in the People’s Choice contest
- At the designated time teams will prepare their food and make it available at their cooking station for both the public and the secret judges.
- A panel of secret judges will blend in with the public to sample food from all the teams that have their team displayed. The judges will rank their top 5 in order of their preference.
- Teams can prepare as many different food items as they want and any category of food is acceptable as long as it was made by the participating team at their cook station.
Winning Prize: $1,000.00